Saturday, November 4, 2017

apparently, i can't fly.....

 leash walks are still a bit dicey at times. i will believe all is going great and then BAM...Squirrel!!
 these are all from hikes and rambles in August.
 decided I'd hit the bog with the pups. we were actually almost done with what seemed to be a rather successful leash walk.  it was pretty out.  foggy, but the sun was shining through.  i stopped for a few photo ops. 
 i had the dogs sit and i turned away a bit to look at scenery...i heard the squirrel.  i should have followed my gut and focused on the dogs, who seemed to be paying more attention to the squirrel sounds then me....suddenly...
 the two of them bolted.  as i was partially turned away, the leashes were both looped around the right wrist.  i went airborne.  not sure how far i flew. i was unable to extricate myself from the leash loops.
 my short flight ended with a hard landing on the ground.  my right arm was outstretched and the wind was knocked out of me.  I'm sure i was then dragged a short distance until i was able to get the leash loops free of my wrist. 
 i can assure you that at no time were the dogs aware that they were dragging me behind them.  once free, they simply moved faster to their desired destination. 
 at this age, in these sort of situations, i find that i stay on the ground a bit and assess any possible damage.  i hurt....there was blood.  that was from a cut on my left palm.  not bad, i must have instinctively attempted to slow the forward motion once i was on the ground being the sled to 2 non-sled dogs. 
 there were several swear words uttered.  not oh crap words either.  true, loud, foul swear words.  the dogs were off enjoying the success of their chase.  no squirrel was harmed...only a human. 
 my shoulder was in pain.  i turned and began walking the opposite direction of the dogs...i suspect part of me was ready to bolt the other way. soon i had two very happy and bouncy pups running up behind me.  i was less than happy and bouncy though.  many stern "No's" and we headed back home.  me mangled, them still happy and bouncy, yet i sensed they knew that their human was a bit off.
 i spent some time while i iced my shoulder and rested deciding work or no work.  i could move the arm, though slow and tender.  i opted to head to work.  it was a busy ER night, but a pretty painful night.  no time to spare really to ice it.  i tried a few times.  took a lunch break where that was all i did.  things like pumps and reaching and pulling/turning patients...increased pain. 
 in the morning there was a patient that was thrashing around.  we needed all hands on deck. i did what i needed to do, but as i did i felt like i was the weak link.  that if i wasn't able to hold on one of my coworkers could be injured or i could make a simple strain injury turn into something much worse. 
 was it worth it.  i slept and iced and when i woke i opted to take a sick day and attempt to repair a bit more before putting myself or others at risk due to this injury.  i do have better range of motion tonight.  still tender and the only way i can toss the chuck it is if i brace my elbow to my chest with my good arm and just use my trunk and wrist.
 discovered more bruises through the night.  i think my muscles have seized up a bit in the past 24 hours as well.  ibuprofen and ice.  i hit the grocery store tonight for some supplies.  some icy/hot patches.  and a new wrap...since the dogs chewed up the last one. 
 i must have hit the ground hard as this am i noticed that only one of my hooks was still fastened on my bra...
 so that is the tale of the flying incident. 
 no walk today.  was in no mood to attempt a leash walk today, nor did i feel like i wanted to put on my backpack...and there are still bears out there so i do need to carry a few things.  trying to do a lot of stretches.  maybe I'll see if i can get in for a massage anytime soon. 
 staying home did mean i had to throw the tennis ball out in the yard a lot.  no other way to wear out pups...i didn't do to badly with my left arm.  no tennis balls lost. 
 i need a relief thrower!!  bear poop below...we are never alone out there.
 liked these tiny mushrooms on the trail.
 tried to busy myself with dishes and laundry.  my life is so exciting.
 these rascals will be the death of me.  next dogs must be much lighter!! i am not getting any younger...
 they are signed up for a few basic classes.  they don't start until later in November so i do have a few weeks to heal up from this.  Tusker will be in a class called leash handling and Ivy Rose will just retake beginning 1.  doesn't really matter what class it is...just more practice.  we did some stay practice in the house today as well.  they are smart...i need to just find new and exciting ways to wear them out.  someone at work said they have their dog in the nose something class.  she said her dog is super tired after that class in tracking.
 i suspect at some point they will mellow a bit more and walking will happen.  will they ever stop chasing squirrels though?  will i survive?
 so what is new with everyone else?  anyone else go flying this week?
 that is Ivy's tongue...haha.  just thought it was funny.  photography with dogs.
 when asked if there was concern as to the limited number of people actually working at our state department...our iitoo actually said, "I'm the only one that matters".  wow!  he also seems to have little regard for our justice department and wishes he had more control to do what he wants.  a twitter employee that i think was let go took him off twitter...i think it only lasted like 11 minutes. i wish the twitter folks had the bravado to just take him off it altogether. 
 for all his talk about how smart he is and how amazing his memory is he sure seems to have a big blank when it comes to all things Rus.  hopefully, Muel can jog the memory of his many aides and co-workers....
 enough of the sad state of life in America. 
 i survived two nights. the first night i was put on call briefly.  i don't think i made it too long, i got called back in right before my shift would have started.  that meant overtime all night though. 
 my pups are joined by Ginger.  teaching her bad things no doubt...i fear soon nobody will want to walk with us. 
 i may need to always have a walking buddy just so i have someone to call 9-1-1 when the pups take me out.
 amazingly, each dog has literally taken me down once each in all this time ...and then this one which was a group effort. 
 they just have such a difficult time containing their excitement. 
 if i could have ever found a man to be that excited to be around me....but alas...
 soon i will ice up and crash. i think i may be wearing this cookie monster jumper a lot this winter.  it's actually quite cozy.  who knew I'd be keen on onzies to chill at home in.  making me even more attractive to the opposite sex no doubt. 
 when i was younger i was always a fan of overalls.  this was discouraged.  i should get some more of those too.  they fit me, they are comfortable. 
 the mushrooms still show up from time to time.  the ground keeps trying to freeze and then we have a warm spell.  i have a few more days before i get my tires changed over so still have to think of where i am walking....gotta avoid all lakes right now too.  it's kind of an awkward time of year.
 good time to catch up on pictures from the summer...actually i still have pictures from last years Iditarod that i never posted. have enjoyed my winter trips to Fairbanks. 

 still need to load pictures to shutterfly and make the calendar. i  will plan on getting to that this week...and the Christmas cards....and getting Skelly and crew ready for Thanksgiving.  hmm....gotta plan that out!! 
Ivy just joined me again.  may have to eat something before i crash. 
 i always enjoy the mushroom time of year and i always love taking photo's of them.
 liked the red berries in these. 
 a few more of my dogs...they never have bad intentions....can't be mad at them really for taking me for this flight. i remember Baby Huey got me airborne on at least one occasion.  i think Rio and Butch took me out more just because of their size and not moving. 
 it's a dang good thing these guys are adorable.
grateful for:  A.  not being injured worse than i was....it can always be worse.  B.  the crazy pups....they may take me out, but they are sure fun  C.  ibuprofen and ice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment